Town of Porter, New York (Youngstown, NY & Ransomville, NY) - Porter, NY Town Hall community information
contact us
site map
learn about our region
Town Clerk / Registrar

While Town Clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by law, and many more go beyond those mandates. As Town clerks, we must be dedicated to the community, informative, patient, cheerful and compassionate, possess the ability to listen and advise, be receptive to new ideas, and be able to maintain a sense of humor while performing duties in a professional manner.

Special Notices

Registrar of Vital Statistics

Recording Secretary Sporting License
Records Management Officer (RMO) Dog License
Filing Officer Marriage License
Licensing Officer Birth and Death Certificates and Genealogical
Election Coordinator Other Services


Special Notices:

Recording Secretary
Maintains and takes minutes, which are the only official record of the activities of Town Government. Back to top

Records Management Officer (RMO)
We are custodian of all Town records, responsible for active files, storage and disposition of inactive records and care full maintenance of archival material. We are the administrators of the Freedom of Information Law, which guarantees your right to know the workings of your government, and we process all FOIL requests. Back to top

Filing Officer
A Town Clerk maintains records of Ordinances, Oaths of Offices, resignations, petitions, proof of publications, vouchers, zoning ordinances and maps, annual budgets, etc. Back to top

Licensing Officer
We issue Sporting Licenses, Dog Licenses, Marriage Licenses, Bingo Licenses, Games of Chance Licenses, and Handicapped Parking Permits. Back to top

Election Coordinator
We coordinate for Primary and General Elections, advising officials of what offices are up for election, proper storage of voting machines and equipment. We ensure that polling places are designated and set up for elections, file notices of registration day, and oversee State, Federal, and local elections. Back to top

Registrar of Vital Statistics
The Town Clerk is the Appointing Officer and keeper of all birth, death, and marriage records within the Town, issuing birth, death, marriage, and burial permits, and when needed, conducts genealogical searches. Back to top

Sporting License
The Town Clerk’s Office issues Hunting and Fishing Licenses Monday-Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. Sporting Licenses are issued through the DECALS (Department of Environmental Conservation Automated Licensing System). This is a computer generated system that is operated by the State of New York. Back to top

Dog License
Article 7 of the New York State Department of Agriculture Law, states that all dogs four (4) months and older must be licensed in the Town in which they are harbored. Applications may be made at the Porter Town Hall, weekdays, excluding holidays, from 8:00 am-noon, and 1:00 pm-4:00 pm. Proof of rabies vaccination and certificates of spaying/neutering are required for licensing. The Cost is $10.00 if the dog is SPAYED OR NEUTERED and $18.00 if the dog is NOT SPAYED OF NEUTERED. Dogs can be licensed for up to three (3) years, but never longer than the rabies vaccination. Back to top

Marriage License
If you plan to get married in New York State you MUST apply in person to any town or city clerk in the state. License must be purchased at least 24 hours in advance. It is then good for sixty (60) days from the exact time the license was issued. The fee is $40.00. Please call our office if either applicant is under 18 years of age.

Proof of Age
A person may be required to present documentary proof of age in the following forms: Birth Certificate, Baptismal Record, Passport, Driver’s License, Life Insurance Policy, Employment Certificate, School Record, Immigration Record, Naturalization Record or Court Record. Other type of proof, such as statements from parents MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Previous Marriages
Information regarding previous marriages MUST be furnished in the application for a Marriage License. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where, and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted.

A New York State marriage license may be used within New York State ONLY.
Back to top

Birth And Death Certificates And Genealogical Searches
The Town of Porter may issue Certified Copies of Birth and Death Certificates, to those who request them, providing the birth or death occurred in the TOWN OF PORTER.
To obtain copies, a request form needs to be completed by the applicant. When the appropriate form is completed, it should be brought to the Town Hall, 3265 Creek Road, Youngstown, NY 14174, or mailed, with a check or money order for $10.00. Download birth and death certificates. Genealogical searches (certified) are $10.00 per search. Back to top

Other Services

Copies can be made for : 8 ½ X 11 .15 each
                                         8 ½ X 14 .25 each
                                         11 X 17 .30 each

Handicapped Parking Permits are available at the Town Clerk’s Office at NO CHARGE.

We also provide notary services. Proper identification is required and you must appear IN PERSON.
Back to top

In Departments:

Back to Departments Home

Download Forms

Application for License Plates or Parking Permits  for Persons w/ Disabilities
  Application for Copy of Birth Record
Application for Copy of Death Record
Info and Application for Genealogical Services




Application for copy of marriage Record

Application for Public Access to Records

Department Contacts

Barb DuBell, Town Clerk /Registrar
Phone: 716-745-3730 Ext 13

Kara Hibbard , Deputy Town Clerk / Registrar
Phone: (716) 745-3730 Ext 10

Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8AM – 4PM

Copyright 2007 - Town of Porter - Web Design by Beyondus