Recording Secretary:

  • Maintains and takes minutes, which are the only official record of the activities of Town Government.

Records Management Officer (RMO)

  • We are custodian of all Town records, responsible for active files, storage and disposition of inactive records and care full maintenance of archival material. We are the administrators of the Freedom of Information Law, which guarantees your right to know the workings of your government, and we process all FOIL requests

Filing Officer 

  • A Town Clerk maintains records of Ordinances, Oaths of Offices, resignations, petitions, proof of publications, vouchers, zoning ordinances and maps, annual budgets, etc.

Licensing Officer

  • We issue Sporting Licenses, Dog Licenses, Marriage Licenses, Bingo Licenses, Games of Chance Licenses, and Handicapped Parking Permits.

Election Coordinator 

  • We coordinate for Primary and General Elections, advising officials of what offices are up for election, proper storage of voting machines and equipment. We ensure that polling places are designated and set up for elections, file notices of registration day, and oversee State, Federal, and local elections

Registrar of Vital Statistics

  • The Town Clerk is the Appointing Officer and keeper of all birth, death, and marriage records within the Town, issuing birth, death, marriage, and burial permits, and when needed, conducts genealogical searches.

Sporting License

  • The Town Clerk’s Office issues Hunting and Fishing Licenses Monday-Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. Sporting Licenses are issued through the DECALS (Department of Environmental Conservation Automated Licensing System). This is a computer generated system that is operated by the State of New York.

Dog License

  • Article 7 of the New York State Department of Agriculture Law, states that all dogs four (4) months and older must be licensed in the Town in which they are harbored. Applications may be made at the Porter Town Hall, weekdays, excluding holidays, from 8:00 am-noon, and 1:00 pm-4:00 pm. Proof of rabies vaccination and certificates of spaying/neutering are required for licensing. The Cost is $10.00 if the dog is SPAYED OR NEUTERED and $18.00 if the dog is NOT SPAYED OF NEUTERED. Dogs can be licensed for up to three (3) years, but never longer than the rabies vaccination.

Marriage License

  • If you plan to get married in New York State you MUST apply in person to any town or city clerk in the state. License must be purchased at least 24 hours in advance. It is then good for sixty (60) days from the exact time the license was issued. The fee is $40.00. Please call our office if either applicant is under 18 years of age

Proof of Age

  • A person may be required to present documentary proof of age in the following forms: Birth Certificate, Baptismal Record, Passport, Driver’s License, Life Insurance Policy, Employment Certificate, School Record, Immigration Record, Naturalization Record or Court Record. Other type of proof, such as statements from parents MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Previous Marriages

  • Information regarding previous marriages MUST be furnished in the application for a Marriage License. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where, and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A New York State marriage license may be used within New York State ONLY.

Birth And Death And Marriage Record Certificates And Genealogical Searches

  • The Town of Porter may issue Certified Copies of Birth and Death Certificates, to those who request them, providing the birth or death occurred in the TOWN OF PORTER.
  • To obtain copies, a request form needs to be completed by the applicant. When the appropriate form is completed, it should be brought to the Town Hall, 3265 Creek Road, Youngstown, NY 14174, or mailed, with a check or money order for $10.00 made payable to the Town of Porter.
  • Download BIRTH and DEATH and MARRIAGE RECORD certificates. Genealogical searches (certified) are $10.00 per search.

Other Services

Copies can be made for : 8 ½ X 11 .15 each

  • 8 ½ X 14 .25 each
  • 11 X 17 .30 each

Handicapped Parking Permits are available at the Town Clerk’s Office at NO CHARGE.

We also provide notary services. Proper identification is required and you must appear IN PERSON.